The Geeky Road to Gold 2014
Actors rarely get nominated for Oscars for geek-friendly roles.
That doesn’t mean, though, that we can’t claim this year’s acting nominees as our own.
After all, once you’ve got one geek credit, we’ll go to see you at a convention ten years later.😉
Maybe it’s because we think of ourselves as the outcasts…we not only want to welcome people into our ranks, but we want to show that great actors work with dragons* and robots** (even if Hollywood doesn’t know they are great at that point).
Let’s take a look at the nominees for this year’s acting Oscars, and see if “we knew them when”:
- Christian Bale: come on…he’s Batman! GEEK CRED
- Bruce Dern: Silent Running** would be enough, but you can throw in the original The Outer Limits…and The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant! GEEK CRED
- Leonardo DiCaprio: Inception…and Critters 3! GEEK CRED
- Chiwetel Ejiofor: Children of Men…and 2012! GEEK CRED
- Matthew McConaughey: Reign of Fire*…and Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation! GEEK CRED
- Amy Adams: Man of Steel…and Smallville! GEEK CRED
- Cate Blanchett: The Lord of the Rings…and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! GEEK CRED
- Sandra Bullock: Demolition Man…and Love Potion No. 9! GEEK CRED
- Judi Dench: one letter is enough…M! GEEK CRED
- Meryl Streep: Death Becomes Her…and The Simpsons! GEEK CRED
- Barkhad Abdi: sorry, only 1 credit so far
- Bradley Cooper: Limitless…and Alias! GEEK CRED
- Jonah Hill: Strange Wilderness…and How to Train Your Dragon! GEEK CRED
- Michael Fassbender: X-Men: First Class…and Hex! GEEK CRED
- Jared Leto: Mr. Nobody…and Urban Legend! GEEK CRED
- Sally Hawkins: HG Wells: War with the World! GEEK CRED
- Julia Roberts: Hook…and Mary Reilly! GEEK CRED
- Lupita Nyong’o: a TV series and a short before this
- Jennifer Lawrence: The Hunger Games…and Mystique! GEEK CRED
- June Squibb: Ghost Whisperer (hello, Grandma!)! GEEK CRED
So there, Hollywood! Except for two relative newbies, we can claim them all! Next time you are watching somebody act with an alien or a zombie, just remember…you might be reading that name in an envelope some day.😉
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the The Measured Circle.