Weird & geeky groups you can support by shopping at AmazonSmile
Amazon recently introduced a new program. You shop at an Amazon mirror site:
and designate an eligible non-profit organization. That organization gets .5% of the purchase price of designated items (not everything is, but many are, and it is indicated on the product page).
Unlike many online charitable donations, this one has close to a million eligible groups!
I checked, and was impressed! I thought you might be interested in some of the options:
- OPUS* (Organization For Paranormal Understanding And Support)
- MUFON (Mutual UFO Network)
- Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art
- Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Films
- Geek Partnership Society
- Committee for Skeptical Inquiry
- USS Stargazer Star Trek Club
- International Wizard of Oz Club
- American Society for Psychical Research (founded in 1884)
- E-Books for Troops
and many more! If you have suggestions for people, feel free to add them in comments to this post.
For more information, including how your organization can opt out, if you want, see
in my I Love My Kindle blog.
* I served, several years ago, as the Education Director for OPUS (where I stressed the need for impartiality in the educational elements), and was on the Board. I am still on the Advisory Board, but am not really actively involved. I am including this information for full disclosure
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the The Measured Circle. To support this or other blogs/organizations, buy Amazon Gift Cards from a link on the site, then use those to buy your items. There will be no cost to you, and a benefit to them