Jon Finch reported dead
For me, what comes to mind first for Jon Finch is The Last Days of Man on Earth (originally The Final Programme). It’s a confusing, sweeping, moving movie based on Michael Moorcock’s novel, and at the heart of it lies the haunted, soulful eyes of Jon Finch.
You are likely to see mainstream stories about Finch’s passing highlight the actor’s starring role in Alfred Hitchcock’s Frenzy, and not undeservedly so.
However, for geeks like me, he has many notable credits.
For American television, he played Christ in the 1980 all-star miniseries of The Martian Chronicles.
Other geek-friendly roles:
- Counterstrike (a TV series, which has not been completely preserved, in which he played an alien defender of Earth)
- Roman Polanski’s Macbeth, in which he played the title character
- The New Avengers (he had a guest spot in this attempted revival, which starred original John Steed Patrick Macnee, Gareth Hunt, and Joanna Lumley)
- Death on the Nile, with Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot
- Hammer House of Horror (the TV series)
- Doktor Faustus (a German production based on the Thomas Mann novel)
- Merlin of the Crystal Cave (based on the Mary Stewart novel)
- The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
- Lurking Fear (based on the H.P. Lovecraft short story)
- Anazapta (with the Game of Thrones Lena Headey)
Good-bye, Jon Finch…the world is less enigmatic without you.
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the The Measured Circle.