Phyllis Diller reported dead
There was nobody else like Phyllis Diller.
She first became famous as a stand-up comedian, at a time when it was an almost exclusively male club. Her routines about her husband “Fang” and her distinctive delivery (and hearty laugh) made her a favorite of television talk shows and as a guest on game shows. She appeared many times with Bob Hope. Her public persona was even parodied on Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.
Diller boldly used self-deprecating humor, making fun of herself, her looks, and later, her plastic surgery.
Even at the height of her career, she was doing voicework (for some actors, that comes later). There was no mistaking her voice.
Geek credits include:
- The Fat Spy (with Sheldon Leonard, Jayne Mansfield, and a fountain of youth plot)
- Batman (the Adam West series…a cameo)
- Mad Monster Party (a Rankin/Bass stop motion movie…she was Frankenstein’s monster’s bride)
- The Adding Machine (one of those 1960s “computers taking over” comedies)
- Get Smart (she plays Max in disguise)
- Rod Serling’s Night Gallery
- Uncle Croc’s Block (Charles Nelson Reilly series parodying kids’ shows)
- Tales from the Darkside
- Alice through the Looking Glass (1987 TV animation…with Mr. T as the Jabberwock)
- Doctor Hackenstein
- Happily Ever After (1990 animation…she played Mother Nature)
- The Nutcracker Prince
- Captain Planet and the Planeteers
- The Boneyard
- Dream On
- The Silence of the Hams
- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
- A Bug’s Life (as the queen)
- The Wild Thornberrys
- Hey Arnold!
- The Nuttiest Nutcracker
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (as Grandma Neutron)
- The Powerpuff Girls
- The Book of Daniel (TV series)
- Robot Chicken (as Mrs. Claus)
- Family Guy
Good-bye, Phyllis Diller….the world is less wacky (and less brave) without you.
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the The Measured Circle.