Emmy noms: Game of Thrones gets love
The Prime Time Emmy Award nominations were just announced.
was nominated for best drama, and
Peter Dinklage, who plays Tyrion Lannister, was nominated as best supporting actor in a drama series. This is Dinklage’s first Emmy nomination: he has previously been nominated for a SAG (Screen Actors Guild) award for The Station Agent.
That’s about it for shows that are actually science fiction/fantasy, but The Big Bang Theory (which is certainly geek-friendly) was nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series. Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons are up against each other for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series. That might be a bit awkward, but three out of six of the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series noms went to Modern Family.
Also of interest to geeks: Mythbusters was nominated for Outstanding Reality Program. No, no, that’s not Reality Competion…they aren’t up against Survivor and The Amazing Race. 😉 Their competition includes Hoarders, Deadliest Catch, and Kathy Griffin…wouldn’t it be fun to have that whole group at a wrap party? I mean, they have so much in common…
Some other interesting points:
- Tim Olyphant (one of our Box Office MVPs this year) was nominated for Justified
- Chris Colfer was nominated for Glee…and it looks like this may be his last chance for that show (reportedly, he, Lea Michelle, and Cory Monteith are off the show next year)
- Dexter and Michael C. Hall were nominated
- Louis C.K. was nominated…yes, for acting, Jon Stewart 😉
- Matt LeBlanc was nominated for the American version of Episodes…what, you have something to say? 😉
- Hugh Laurie was nominated for House (the series wasn’t)
- Kyle Chandler is having a year, with the success of Super 8 and a nom
- Martha Plimpton was nominated for Raising Hope (is it still okay to say “Goonies never say die!” No? Okay, then…I do like this series, regardless)
- Jon Cryer was nominated for Two and a Half Men…for some reason, his co-star wasn’t… 😉
- Alan Cumming was nominated for The Good Wife…nice to see a superhero (Nightcrawler in the X-Men) getting the respect
- Betty White was nominated for Hot in Cleveland…that gives her about twenty Emmy noms