Answers to Box office quiz 2010 #1
These are the answers to some questions I asked earlier about this year’s box office performance in the USA. If you’d like to try to answer them yourself first, see this earlier post.
We’re looking at the US dogro (domestic gross) for movies released in the US this year. For the big picture, see our regularly updated recap, Movie Box Office: 40, 80, 1, 2 3.
1. What movie has made the most money this year?
A. Toy Story 3, easily. It’s made more than 75 million dollars more than the second movie, Alice in Wonderland. Inception is fourth at this point, although still earning.
2. How many of the top ten movies are cartoons?
A. For cartoons, I was counting movies with only animated characters…no humans. The answer is four: Toy Story 3, Despicable Me, Shrek Forever After, How to Train Your Dragon
3. How many of the top ten are original stories (not sequels, remakes, or based on something else like a book)?
A. Two: Inception, Despicable Me
4. What is the biggest money-making movie this year directed by an Oscar-winning director?
A. Did you think Inception? We’re looking at Oscar winners, not nominees…and the answer is Shutter Island, directed by Martin Scorcese
5. What R-rated movie has the biggest dogro this year?
A. People think that an R-rating may be a box office kiss of death (an interesting phrase combining sex and violence). 😉 The answer is also Shutter Island
6. How many of the top ten movies are sequels? Based on a comic book? Based on a book? A remake?
A. 4 sequels (Toy Story 3, Iron Man 2, Eclipse, Shrek Forever After; 1 based on a comic book (Iron Man 2); 3 based on a book (Alice in Wonderland, Eclipse, How to Train Your Dragon); 2 remakes (Karate Kid, Clash of the Titans)
7. Which non-animated comedy has made the most money this year?
A. Grown Ups, at 161m
8. How many of the top ten already have sequels (not spin-offs) announced?
A. 6: Iron Man 2, Eclipse, Despicable Me, How to Train Your Dragon, The Karate Kid, Clash of the Titans
9. How many of the top ten have videogame tie-ins?
A. 6: Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Iron Man 2, Shrek Forever, How to Train Your Dragon, Clash of the Titans
10. How many of the top ten were released in 3D?
A. 6: Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Despicable Me, Shrek Forever After, How to Train Your Dragon, Clash of the Titans
Below is a list of the top 10 so far this year. For the 52 titles released this year that made at least 40 million dollars in domestic gross, see this page.
10. Clash of the Titans 163m
9. The Karate Kid 177m
8. How to Train Your Dragon 217m
7. Shrek Forever 238 m
6. Despicable Me 246m
5. Inception 287m
4. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse 300m
3. Iron Man 2 312m
2. Alice in Wonderland 334m
1. Toy Story 3 411m
This post by Bufo Calvin originally appeared in the The Measured Circle.